- Manage and supervise the technical aspects of the day-to-day operations on-board the vessels within designated fleet and provide effective management and control to ensure that vessels are maintained & operations are conducted in accordance with the applicable National & International rules including but not limited to (Flag State, ISM Code, ISPS Code, SOLAS convention, MARPOL Convention, ILO, STCW, etc.)
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Ensure that all vessels are maintained up to the standards set up by the company and in compliance with the relevant national and international rules and regulations, and assist in maintaining the entire unit’s statutory certification
- Establish and maintain a safe management practice in compliance with the ISM code. Accordingly, ensure that vessels are equipped with all the required safety elements and comply with local and statutory environmental obligations
- Act as DPA representative in transmitting the requirements of the company’s safety and quality management system to the vessels
- Check and approve the engine department’s material requisitions received from vessels and co-ordinate with the purchase section of MILAHA to ensure prompt delivery of requested materials
- Manage, control and organize the work of the sub-contractors on board company’s vessels
- Select suppliers, negotiate prices and arrange deliveries of parts and stores to ships, and ensure that vessels and materials used in the vessels meet company and constitutional quality standards.
- Ensures statutory and classification surveys for all fleet vessels are carried out and that vessels class are maintained by taking all the necessary actions to lift any imposed condition on the class within the time frame given by surveyors
- Inspect vessels regularly, prepare inspection reports and submit these reports to the Technical manager with recommended corrective actions, implement approved corrective actions and close out deficiencies
- Schedule and prepare dry-docks and major repairs/refit specifications, negotiate prices with yards, prepare comparative statements, assist in yard’s selection, attend the dry docking/repairs of the vessels, verify job completion reports and review the final invoice
- Assist in the selection, familiarization and briefing of shore-based personnel and vessels’ staff including Masters, Chief Engineers, Chief Officers and Second Engineers
- Monitor the status and effectiveness of planned maintenance schedules to ensure maximum equipment efficiency.
- Liaise with the certifying authorities regarding equipment failures, repairs and/or renewals. Develop and follow up claims both warranty and insurance in conjunction with the relevant departments within the company
- Assist with the preparation of budgets including costs for all surveys, modifications and projects. Check and control the costs/expenses related to the technical management of the fleet to stay within budget
- Act as a coach to subordinates, identify their training and career development, recommend training courses and follow-up on their personnel records such as timesheets, discipline, vacations, leaves and absenteeism;
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with counter parts in the other departments and subsidiaries within MILAHA, and provide assistance when required. Also, establish and maintain good working relations with clients/suppliers and sub-contractors
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Ensure operations/work processes occur in accordance with all relevant legal, regulatory, and any other standards and requirements to which compliance is required
- Ensure the health and safety of all employees and the protection of the environment for all sites/work premises under their control.
- Bachelor Degree or first class certificate in Marine Engineering
- 8 – 10 years shipboard experience as an engineer preferably as Chief Engineer
- 2 years Shore based experience in similar role
- Shipboard experience on board ships managed by well known company
- MS Office, FMS
- Must be fluent in English, Arabic is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of ISM and QMS
- Strong knowledge of ship repair technics
- Strong knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering, hull coatings and steel repairs
- Strong knowledge of related health, safety, security and environmental regulations